Femme Noir: T by Alexander Wang Little Black Dress

T by Alexander Wang Black Dress StyleOnTheCouch William Williams Photography

T by Alexander Wang Dress StyleOnTheCouch William Williams Photography

T by Alexander Wang Little black Dress StyleOnTheCouc William Williams Photography

Little Black dress shapes

Black yamamoto

I started off this year with a clothing resolution to keep things simple, Blog Reader.  I am discovering, however, that this maxim is not always easy to live by.  My difficulty?  That in keeping things simple I appear somewhat boring and repetitive with my style choices. Hmm indeed (and much flicking through old issues of Vogue magazine).

What is going to help me with my simple-and-chic over somewhat-stuffy-and-staid goals?  Finding the right silhouette in which to make simple eye-catchingly so.  For this post I’m focussing again on the ‘Little Black Dress’ – black being the colour that permeates about 80% of my wardrobe and one I could happily dress every day in.

There are some wonderful dress shapes in the shops currently, a mix of structured forms and flowing designs.  In my collage, clockwise from top left: Stella McCartney Milly dress in the sale at Browns Fashion; Nasty Gal’s Under Control DressASOS T-Shirt Dress with dipped hem; Preen Taylor Cotton-Blend Brocade Dress from The Outnet and T by Alexander Wang Jersey Dress available at Selfridges.  Dresses are short or flowing in the current season; I say embrace this with knit tights and high-heeled booties, throw on your coat and get moving*.  ‘Short’ will continue into spring / summer, with the addition of splits and asymmetric hemlines so go with the flow now.

Wearing: T by Alexander Wang Cut-out Crepe and Jersey Dress (available here in white; midi version here also) and leather cuff by Fleet Ilya.

Photos: William Williams. Yamamoto quote here.

*Written before the snow in London this week.  Eek sorry, European Blog Reader.

Tweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Facebook

Comments

1. Siriah Bentley says

I’m an aspiring stylist and do love the ” little black dress”. I feel it’s a must have and can be dressed up or dressed in so many different ways. He’ll my black dress has got me of many a sticky dress situation. Xx

The LBD really is one of the most versatile wardrobe items either. I love Alexander Wang’s T line. I don’t know about you but whenever I wear anything from that line you feel well erm sort of sexy I guess! Love this on you.

• sarah says

I think you and Yamamoto would get on then :-) Thank you for your lovely comment! Hope we can take tea in Goring sometime this year, would be lovely to meet you.

The biggest challenge of being a black lover and frequent black wearer is finding pieces that are eyecatching while remaining monochromatic – its something you do so well, and one of the things I admire most about your style. This Alexander Wang dress is an absolute dream :)

I (not surprisingly, style twin) have a similar problem in my wardrobe. Last year I resolved to stop adding lots of fast fashion to my wardrobe (HM, Forever21, etc.), and this year I’d like to invest less into intimates (though I do love them so) and focus on classic but stylish basics much like the one you’ve posted here. I’m not sure I entirely agree with Mr. Yamamoto, as I think black is a true standard and I think it’s more because 1. it goes with everything, 2. it’s practical and 3. it’s universally flattering. This season, weirdly enough, white and cream have been my colors of choice both in intimates and RTW. I wonder if it’s a subconscious attempt to take life more lightly. Hmmmm…!

• sarah says

Monochrome is so hot for spring Lindsay you’re along the right lines for the perfect summer wardrobe this year! I do agree that black is universally flattering, but I do think that Mr Yamamoto is on to something with the ‘I don’t bother you, you don’t bother me’ because the people I know personally who wear a lot of black seem to be the most self confident. I wonder if this is true…. mmm.

• Lindsay says

How interesting! I’m going to be taking mental notes on this for sure – we can revisit in a week or two. Style studies :)