Classic Clothing Series: The White Shirt

The white shirt is one of those ‘wardrobe essentials’ I find very difficult to get right.  Not only do I find it difficult to find the perfect classic white shirt, I find it hard to obtain a white shirt with a twist, something a little different but still in the essentials vein.

These photos were taken in Austin, Texas just before I left America.  I love this oversized shirt shape, how the sleeves fall long and the feeling of being cocooned.  I don’t think there is anything sexier than a simple style like this – a white shirt being a wardrobe staple for work wear or worn with jeans on lazy weekends.

So here we are. A shortlist of my current favourite white (cream and off white) shirts for this post:

With a twist:

Reiss Astra Volume Sleeve Shirt

Diesel Cropped Back Shirt from ASOS.

Classics:

J Crew Blythe Blouse

Whistles Iris Blouse

And one for the boys:

I found this shirt in white in McQueen in NYC and loved it.  Although expensive (!) it’s a stunning shirt for the boys: Harness Shirt (yes, yes I know but isn’t it great)!

I’m wearing: white shirt from Marks & Spencer.  Jeans, Legging Jean from GAP.  Skull clutch from my friend Nicole Rosano – see her Etsy shop here.

With thanks to Steve Wampler Photography and Alex Suarez for the images.
Tweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Facebook

Comments

I love a white shirt! I’m thinking of doing a post soon about white on white outfits, and this has definitely inspired me to follow through with it!

my friends used to make fun of me when we were younger because i ALWAYS wore white shirts. i loved every style…from a simple tee to a classic button down. i still love white…although ever since i started blogging, i seem to wear them less and less. may have to pull my faves back to the front of the closet! =) you look beautiful as always!

xoxo, jenn
    the stylish housewife

This is such a fabulous look. Crisp classic and just plain gorgeous. Funny how a white shirt …so simple and everyday can when worn with the right accessories become timeless and fit in any era from 1919 to 2019.

I love white shirts, but I agree! They are hard to style-especially if you want that unique touch!!!
    But, you know what? I always go for something a little oversized-it somehow helps!

It’s hard to go wrong with a white shirt… but you have a point, sometimes it is difficult to come up with something really unique, but still in a classic style. I think this one fits the bill perfectly; I especially love the bow detail at the front. I’ve been on the hunt for a good new white shirt for a while, so I’ll definitely be investigating your selections :)

Cee I agree that it is hard to find those with a ‘twist’. I bought one a while back with balloon like arms – something told me ‘great’ at the time – needless to say I haven’t worn it once lol