Nicholas Kirkwood for Rodarte: My Dream Heels

Every once in a while, Blog Reader, I am a ‘shoe person’. Though not normally a ‘shoe person’ I occasionally find a pair of heels that make me go weak at the knees.  There are a few brands I look to for footwear inspiration – Camilla Skovgaard, Jerome C Rousseau, Alexander Wang and Nicholas Kirkwood – the heels in this post are by the latter, part of Kirkwood’s line for Rodarte‘s autumn winter collection in 2010:

A gorgeously gothic mix of dark and light: molten wax along the heel, crocodile skin patterning, delicate cut outs and pointe shoe ribbon ties, I purchased these heels at the Rodarte sample sale in New York City my first summer there, complete with runway model’s name taped to the sole.

I wonder if Kate and Laura Mulleavy had Black Swan in mind when discussing this collaboration…

To wear these heels is to let them be the focus of an outfit – here I’m back to black with my ASOS midi tank dress and my Graceship bag. They are shoes for an occasion, shoes to feel great and look great in.

Photos: Lydia Hudgens.

I’m interested in the psychology of shoes at this point, Blog Reader.  What is your relationship with footwear?  Where do you turn for a killer heel and is your closet populated with them or like me do you have one or two styles that you splurge on and love?

Shoes are the quickest way for women to achieve instant metamorphosis – Manolo Blahnik

Lingerie Lust returns next week, Blog Reader – have a great weekend!

StyleOnTheCouch wears: ASOS Midi tank body conscious dress; Nicholas Kirkwood for Rodarte heels; New York laptop bag from Graceship.
Tweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Facebook

Comments

These shoes leave me weak in the knees every time you wear them. I don’t consider myself a shoe person, per se, in that I tend to gravitate towards the same styles in different colours over and over… Undoubtedly not the sign of a true aficionado, who, I imagine, want to experience everything the world of shoes has to offer. I am, almost invariably, happy with my simple pumps, bow-tied ballet flats and the occasion pair of ankle boots. But every once in a while a pair of shoes so spectacular comes along that I can’t help but take notice. The entire Miu Miu collection comes to mind ;) As do these beauties. it’s the molten wax that really gets me. The texture at once does not belong anywhere on a shoe and suits it perfectly.

Cee I can completely understand why you are drawn to the world of Miu Miu. I have a friend who goes weak at the knees every time in London we go near their collections. There is a beautiful feminine quality to their designs as well. Hope all is well in Paris! Hope you are settling in x

WOW! those are some serious statement shoes! LOVE! i don’t own anything quite so fancy although i would certainly love to. i have promised myself that ONE day i will by myself a pair of louboutins…but knowing me, it will be the simple nude patent heels that i would wear the HECK out of. =) have a wonderful weekend!!!

xoxo, jenn
    the stylish housewife

Such glorious shoes!
    I have been contemplating a pair with chiffon type wrap around the foot and ankle.
    I just wonder if they will make my calves look too big???
    Not going to be a worry for you that is certain! :)
    Cheers,
    Laura

Hm interested question – I would think this depends on the way in which you tie the ribbons. They are a beautiful shoe mind you, they will certainly lengthen your legs whatever your calf size! Thank you for stopping by x

4. Pearls and Lace says

These heels are amazing!! I actually feel the same way as you, I’m not a huge shoe addict, especially when it comes to heels (most likely because I’m already so tall that heels just make me look like a giant lol). Having said that there are times when I simply can’t resist a pair of heels! But I mostly stick with ballet flats – those are my weakness!

xo, jen

5. cweisbeck347 says

I like to look for something unique. Not really a name brand girl nor a shoe person, but there are times that I just need my vintage tan lace 3″ spikes.

This is very true. I wondered at first if I should just keep them on show in my house, I love the heel especially. But as with all great clothing you absolutely need to wear them, and I love wearing these. Thanks for stopping by…!

Again, repeating our convo from twitter but I remember when you bought those! I LOVE them on and that you’ve let them be the focal point of the outfit! Safe travels back to NYC! xo

Trackbacks