Style In The City of Manhattan: Brooklyn Bridge & All Saints Black Dress

Manhattan has an uncanny ability to make me feel like Carrie Bradshaw at times.  The energy is infectious, the people full of spirit – New York City really feels like a place where anything can happen.

I remember arriving in the USA on December 27th 2010 after several huge snowfalls had hit New York.  My first adventures in Manhattan were experienced through the snow, including a walk over the magnificent Brooklyn Bridge where I recall a big feeling of ‘wow’ hitting me as I took in the views of Manhattan and the islands.

Before my trip back to the UK this week, I returned to Brooklyn Bridge with my photographer Lydia to take some new photos of one of my favourite dresses from All Saints.  From their premium collection last year, brought out in time for the party season, I am still in love with the gothic construction and parachute themed styling (an All Saints signature) of this gown.

There is a wonderful Harpers Bazaar cover with Sarah Jessica Parker running on Brooklyn Bridge in a pale blue dress full of layers of chiffon.  I have this print to remind me of my wonderful stay in NYC:

Image above from here.  All other photography: Lydia Hudgens.

Lots of people have asked me what it was like moving to Manhattan from the UK and living here: Was it amazing? Expensive? Friendly? Unfriendly? Rude even? Would I recommend it? Absolutely.  To quote Carrie Bradshaw again:

If you can only have one great love, then the city just may be mine. And I don’t want nobody talkin’ shit about my boyfriend.”  (Sex and the City TV Series)

I’ll be back for a visit in September, Blog Reader.  I’ve also worked with Lydia on lots of outfit posts over the last month in preparation for my various adventures and travels.

Normal blog service will resume from back in the UK very soon.  I’m excited about my visit.  So pass the crumpets.

Until then!  StyleOnTheCouch xo

Comments

I agree with you that there is something absolutely magical and infectious about NYC – I am practically giddy with excitement for MBFW! This dress is so gorgeous, I just want to study it for hours – the detail and construction is amazing and a piece that’s this well made will certainly stand the test of time.

Oh Jenn NYC is just amazing. You’re going to have so much fun. If you want any tips of hints for places to see and things to do (or maybe I am best at where to shop?!) let me know. Thank you for your comment x

I would love some ideas about the best shops and places to visit! I’ll make sure to send you a message when I’m planning my trip! Thanks for checking out my blog too :)

xo, jen

I couldn’t agree more about your views on Manhattan and NYC.. :) there is something about the city that just makes you want to blend in with its energy, be a part of it :) ive just been there once, but i suppose the feeling is just too overpowering to miss. Also, that is an absolutely gorgeous dress.. Looking forward to more posts. U have great style..

3. Michi of Delphina Luxe says

Love this dress and you look STUNNING in it. Good luck on the travels, looking forward to your future posts.

Safe travels, Sarah! I have never {dare I say it?} been a Sex and the City girl; to me, your adventures in Manhattan far outmatch Carrie Bradshaw’s and I have enjoyed reading every one of your posts about them. I can tell just how much you are going to miss NYC – some cities just have that effect on us. I feel the same way every time I leave Paris. But I hope that you’ll find many more wonderful adventures that inspire you in new, unexpected way in the next chapter of your life. Oh, and that you’ll keep wearing this dress. It is phenomenal.

Crumpets and anchor butter at the ready! Great pictures honey, you look amazing as does the background and as a SATC addict, I adore the quote and SJP picture – simply stunning! I’ll get the kettle on!

Hi! Beautiful dress! Long dresses are stunning and you look amazing! Next time I go back to NYC I have to take a picture in Brooklyn Bridge! I’ve been to NY 4 times and I have never gone on it? Why? I have no clue hehe but next time that will be the first thing I do. Have a great time in the UK!! Can’t wait to see your outfits I bet they will be so cute and classy! Have a nice week :)
    ~Adri

You are perfection Sarah…as always….and the backdrop…well there are no words.
    I can’t believe you are leaving NYC…and we only had the chance to meet up ONCE! I have been too busy making babies over here, lol. Maybe when you come back to visit…I can make a trip into the city.
    Wishing you the best for all your travels…
    C

8. mpchouchou says

I still ADORE this dress. Something so well constructed and timeless never goes out of style. And you sound so wistful about NYC, but you should look forward to all your future adventures too! I know you are going to be equally fabulous be you in NYC, the UK, or Alaska!