I Have The Power: Preen Black Dress

Hello again, Blog Reader.  I’m back in Manhattan after a fabulous weekend away in Charleston South Carolina – a beautiful city that I would recommend to anyone looking for lots of Southern charm and character.  I had some great recommendations for dining in Charleston so if you want any then drop me an email using the ‘ask me anything’ email (top right).  I have a review of the wonderful Hampden Clothing boutique coming up soon, a  must-visit on a shopping trip in the city.

Back in Gotham I’m still trying to capture the romance of Charleston but combine it with a little New York attitude.  I’ve posted this dress before and I will likely feature it again I love it so much – the power dress by Preen, perfectly sharp but still feminine for a cutting edge little black dress:

Photos: Lydia Hudgens.

The strap detailing on this dress is my idea of perfection.  I love the structure, the hard and the soft (the different fabrics used) and the beautiful folds around the neckline.  A dress with powerful impact it most certainly is.  Apologies to those of you who read about the dress before but just to mention again I bought it from Liberty London department store back in the UK during a sale a good few years ago now* for a great price.  Liberty sales are amazing!  It was when I started to really buy quality over quantity and invest in pieces that would last, a philosophy that has stuck with me today.

I will certainly be watching what Preen bring us this season at the forthcoming London Fashion Week.

So, who is feeling powerful? What do you wear when you need a little power-pick-me-up?

P.S. I just noticed I got a little ‘black’ themed again Blog Reader.

Wearing: Dress by Preen; sandals from Mango; clutch from Debenhams, UK.

*Liberty no longer appear to stock Preen but you can browse styles here on Black White Denim, on Net a Porter, My Wardrobe and at discount sites such as The Outnet.

Tweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Facebook

Comments

This have been a little black-themed around here lately, but personally, I’m loving it. A good LBD (or several) is really indispensable to a woman’s wardrobe, but it often seems to me that designers coast a bit when it comes to black dresses because of that – most black dresses are so basic as to almost border on boring. But not this one! Trust Preen to never let a girl down :) As fr powerful dressing, upon reflection I think I tend to rely mostly on shoes for that… Being petite, adding a little bit of height to my looks levels the proverbial playing field and makes me feel infinitely less like a munchkin ;)

I think my LBDs span from the classic and structured (mainly work) to this kind of unique style for a night out. I agree that some LBDs can be very boring and it is a challenge to re-work the dress every time – I think Preen struck gold with this design. I remember seeing it on Gwyneth Paltrow and thinking – I neeeeeed this in my wardrobe :-)

Thanks Jenn – I was looking through my wardrobe last night actually thinking there are only a couple of key pieces I would like for Fall and I’d be a very happy bunny. I know that clothes are my ‘thing’, I buy them over and above anything, but I do have fun getting dressed and that’s the important thing. Look forward to seeing your INPINK giveaway, I got a piece from them recently too, lovely bracelet x

Rosa I have to thank the lovely Jenny at Dry Bar NYC for these curls, she’s amazing. Stopped by your blog yesterday, loved the Dior show images – what a fabulous event!

Black is the colour to go to on good and especially on bad days! It’s such a great colour and you look fabulous in that dress as usual! The strap detailing is beautiful, and that dress is hugging you in all the right places! :D

My power pieces are either a necklace made with big black beads or pieces with rich, warm, buttery cognac leather. This dress is so great on you! All my black dresses seem to have sleeves, but I think I like it that way.