Lady In Red: Joy Cioci

In my column for Lookbooks today I interviewed contemporary womenswear designer Joy Cioci, whose neon and leather Meagan dress you might have seen on the blog a couple of weeks ago.  Joy is a busy lady right now, preparing for New York Fashion Week in September and partnering with Fashion Fights Cancer.  I wore this dress, another of Cioci’s designs, full of beautiful layers of romantic chiffon and with a gorgeous cut out back detail, for Independence Day celebrations here in the US*.

Something about this dress is a little dangerous but also soft; a hint of romance mixed with a whiff of power.  In my recent interview with Joy she spoke of her collections telling the stories on her mind.  Although this dress is from a previous line, it is also in keeping with her theme for autumn winter 2012: ‘Seductive Survival‘ speaks a tale of feminine strength, instinct and animalistic urges…

I’m quite drawn to the sense of romance in Joy’s designs and this dress is a delight to wear. If you’re looking for a stand out dress with lots of impact then do take a look at her website.  Where do you usually turn for such clothing, Blog Reader?

I’m very excited to see what Joy brings us this September.

Wearing: Red dress by Joy Cioci.  Feelin’Good heels in sapphire suede, Nine West.
Photography by the wonderful Lydia Hudgens.

*Yes, I know I probably shouldn’t have been the one celebrating but still a party is a party, Blog Reader.

You can read my interview with Joy on Lookbooks here.

Comments

It is asymmetrical fun time in the most astonishing party color. It takes a moment to take it all in but when you do it is so much fun. Almost like a flouncy puzzle for the eye. I bet it moves in the most wonderful way.

What a great comment! Yes it does indeed move in a very nice way. The layers are perfectly cut around the thighs for some lovely movement. Glad you like! Thanks for stopping by…

What a stunning dress – and the perfect choice for the 4th of July, even if it isn’t technically your holiday. A party is a party and any excuse to dress up is as good as the next, pariclarly if it encourages the pairing of a red dress with blue shoes :) I absolutely love Joy’s designs, particularly the two you’ve showcased on your blog. When I’m looking for a power piece – which is a relatively rare thing,I must admit – I tend to go for menswear pieces. I’m sure that the psychologist in you will have something to say about that ;)

Beautiful dress in a great color! I would wear a dress like this to a gallery oppenings, which I attend very often.(maybe without the slit in the back- it may be a little much in my age).
    Take care
    Sara

This is such an amazing dress – it reminded me of the phrase “the thousand layer dress” which Carrie from SATC wore (sadly only in the hotel).

I know that the dresses have nothing in common look-wise (except for ultimate fabulousness) – but I am sure there is more than a thousand layers in this red beauty of yours as well!

As per usual, amazing look.

Edita I remember that dress! (Who doesn’t?) what a stunning piece. Joy does a lovely longer version of this dress too, you might like that one. Edita I’m behind on my blog reading as I’ve been travelling a lot this month but will stop by again soon. Thanks for visiting me again! x

Thank you leblogdemarie! I think the red shade works well with my skin tone, there are some colours I can’t wear because I am pale but this I love. Glad you liked the shoes, I tried nude at first then went back to the blue because I liked the colour too. x

5. mpchouchou says

Just a stunning dress and thanks for the intro to the line- I am drooling over everything and can totally see all of it making a happy home in my closet.

Love it! I was actually looking at a vintage dress in this colour yesterday. It’s really lovely, and the frills are really well done. Not frou-frou at all.