The Little Black Dress.

Every so often I like to both inspire and tease myself by browsing various sites for designer evening dresses. Don’t we all imagine what we would spend our money on, if money were no object, of course?! I refer you at this point, Blog Reader, to Freud’s Reality Principle, thankfully keeping my bank balance in check.

I am therefore forever grateful for Cadillac’s Castle in Manhattan’s East Village, a delightful spot I have written about many times before on the blog but which I think is a real treasure hidden on East 9th street.  Earlier this summer I spied this gorgeous little black dress by Catherine Malandrino at the bargain price of $90.

Photos: Lydia Hudgens.

I’m not familiar with Catherine Malandrino, with the exception of some hype surrounding her designs when her SoHo boutique was featured in the TV series Sex In The City in 2002.  Born in Grenoble in the French Alps, Catherine moved to Paris to work with some major fashion houses including Ungaro before moving to New York City in 1997.  The Malandrino brand debuted in 2005 and Catherine is credited with blending the romance and elegance of Paris with the energy of Manhattan in her designs; an enchanting mix of timeless, sophisticated femininity and daring modernity.

This little black dress in silk with lace inspired butterfly hem is a beautiful addition to my wardrobe.  I am very much a subscriber to the idea that one can never have too many clothes dresses little black dresses but I feel there is a uniqueness to this Malandrino design with its plunge neckline, wide straps and tiered hem that will draw me back to it again and again.

A final note for all you bargain hunters out there – Cadillac’s Castle had some wonderful Yigal Azrouel and DVF on my last visit not long ago.  I was with my friend who bought some silver Valentino sandals at a bargain price. It is in my opinion the best consignment store in New York City.  Visit it at 333 East 9th street.

Wearing: Catherine Malandrino dress, from Cadillac’s Castle.  Bracelet (just seen) bought in Turkey and necklace (gift from a friend).
I realised this morning I haven’t posted any of my Turkey travel snaps yet, Blog Reader. Anyone interested or shall we stick to fashion? StyleOnTheCouch xo
Tweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Facebook

Comments

Wow that dress is amazing on u, and such a bargain?!
    So envy your NY shopping, I need a trip there sometime soon, it’s been way to long. Have actually been looking into it for a wedding destination, just gotta convince big Jay, he won’t fly for more than four hours… X

What about a cruise, would he consider that?! I think you are completely spoiled with sales and well, shopping in general in NYC. I love all the choice, but sometimes it can be a little overwhelming. This dress was a great find though!

2. Lissy says

The dress is gorgeous on you! I love Cadillac’s Castle not only for the vintage/consignment items but also because they somehow get brand new items that they sell for a deep discount. It’s certainly a shop worth visitin!

Oh goodness – I already knew that New York was only a few short steps from fashion heaven but Cadillac Castle sounds like an absolute dream. Although consignment store with gorgeous Catherine Malandrino frocks on their racks would be, at least for me :) I’ve been a fan of her collections since their debut in 2005 and this dress is the perfect illustration of why. The designs are feminine and romantic without being overly dressy (this fitting nicely into my reality; thank-you, Freud, for the reminder!) And yet, the details make them stand out immediately. This dress is such a gem – you really can never have too many good LBDs – and you wear it beautifully.

We are agreed, you can never have too many little black dresses. I didn’t know much about Catherine Malandrino before getting this piece, but I have my eye on her now. x

Oo great! I’d love to put together a post but I’m never sure how interested reader are. Turkey was amazing though, I’d love to share. Thanks for your comment Jenn x

A beautiful dress indeed! Every girl should have a black dress in their closet! I love the bottom of your dress :) it gives it that unique touch. Dress looks amazing on you! Cute necklace :)
    ~Adri