Flowers, Beach and Sea.

Help me out with a little research experiment, Blog Reader. How many of you can’t resist buying something new and perhaps that little bit different for a holiday? I call these items my ‘holiday purchases’ – whilst the vacation itself is for relaxing and exploring and rarely (perhaps surprisingly for me, shopping), before I head off I tend to buy one new thing to take with me and enjoy wearing.

This Zara dress was my Turkey-holiday-purchase.  I bought it in London in fact, quite taken with the neckline and bewitched by the print (shock, horror*).

I wore this dress often last week and I’m now looking to Mary Katrantzou and Erdem for the inspiration that will help me continue to wear it beyond my trip.  Erdem – the eternal king of floral prints in my book – has some delightful dresses in their new resort 2013 collection. Perhaps a bit more sombre than their usual designs, I nonetheless liked the silhouettes and use of lace:

Catwalk images above from Elle.com. Top, Erdem resort 2013. Below, Mary Katrantzou spring / summer 2012.

So where do you stand on floral prints right now Blog Reader? And as for my little piece of holiday-related research, let me know…

Wearing: Dress, Zara (no longer available on line, similar alternatives here and here); Leather ‘O’ bracelet (just seen) Bordelle; Clutch by CurlyInTheCity – her Etsy shop here.  Sunglasses, GUESS.

*Alright, alright, I might just have to concede that I can now ‘do’ print *gasps*

Comments

Yep! I think the design was made in two colours, the other a lighter blue background (the one I originally saw somewhere online…) I’m imagining this will get a lot of wear this summer! Hope you’re well Rosa, I’m looking forward to catching up on your blog this weekend x

I’m quite sure that was part of the attraction too. Whilst I still took a lot of black with me, this dress was the first I wore on an evening out on vacation! Thanks for stopping by xo

Amazing dress! I always make an excuse for shopping :p If you’re taking an awesome trip then you definitely deserve to treat yourself to fresh new wardrobe pieces. I think you could dress that dress up or down perhaps with a blazer.

Oh you should have seen me before I left for my trip, having to pack for the weather in both London and Turkey was causing me a headache. I’d quite happily pay for a packing service (I always leave something key behind…)

I almost purchased one of the Mary Katrantzou designs for TopShop earlier this year but I wasn’t sure about the quality of them. Happily I seem to have found another print I adore. Did you see it in another colour by the way? I was sure the same print with a different colour scheme was designed but I couldn’t find it anywhere…. x0

I have always loved florals. These are luxe and very summery. Other florals are more work appropriate. I like both styles! I think this season’s florals look best if the wearer has a dose of attitude.

I’m like you, I don’t do prints but I love this dress. I tried to hunt down the black base version to no avail. You are so lucky to have got hold of one. I love the print, shape and neckline it’s simply one of the best dresses in its price range of the SS12 season, FACT! I’m so jealous right now x

Ha ha – I couldn’t help but laugh at the asterisk point in this post. I still have mixed feelings about “doing prints” but I do think that the right print can go a long way and the print on this dress is definitely one of the right ones :) As for your research experiment, though, I think I may be your complete opposte. Pre-holiday is actually one of the few times I can genuinely control my shopping impulses. As much as I love to explore on my holidays, part of exploring for me is discovering new shops and collections that I may not have access to at home, so in the weeks before a trip, I’m always pinching every penny and saving room in my suitcase!

Haha Cee you know me well :-) So interesting that you are my opposite when it comes to holiday purchasing, although I admit it is always fun to see what you find when you take a trip. I’m looking forward to catching up on your blog this weekend Cee, thanks again for all your lovely comments x

We were surprised to read this dress was from Zara. We shopped the Zara stores in Europe last year and did find they carried many styles not found in the states. We love the cut of the dress. We currently have a similar style for our fall 2012 collection, The Heidi Dress, where the cut of the shoulders and neck line are similar. No pictures from the back?

No pictures from the back (was a little difficult with the wind on the beach and my hair actually!) Can you send me a picture of your Heidi Dress? I do love this neckline x

Stunning :) Jealous that you managed to keep your hair straight and SO close to the sea lol :) My hair instantly starts to friz with the onset of sea wind! Love the dress and the neckline is so interesting! Great find for sure.
    much love,
    shortpresents.blogspot.com

Hi Carly – haha yes I’ve done a lot of style-evolving since I began the blog for sure! Vacation was great – just been catching up on my reading today and popped over to see some wonderful pregnancy chic on thirtysomethingfashion :-)

7. mpchouchou says

Seriously, how have you avoided print for so long? You rock it like no other and I am so excited to see you in this dress (cause I feel like I was eying it in the store not to long ago!!).

I think I have a fair way to go until I can rock print like you Lani but let’s just say I am getting better at embracing this kind of style and no longer fear it at least. Thanks for your comment – caught up on mpchouchou today, loved the yellow dress you wore for the wedding!

This dress is incredible and it looks positively perfect on you! It looks like such a gorgeous place you were! I think “holiday purchases” are definitely warranted. Its nice to look back at the photographs and love what you were wearing :)

I first saw this style of floral print on a Givenchy range of skirts, and I’m happy to see the same take on florals popping up with different brands. I love this dress so much!

I have a little issue with Zara in that at times their styles can feel like blatant designer copies, but then again when I see something I like it doesn’t bother me! I’m more of a fan of Zara in the US than the UK which is a little weird I know, but I do like how their collections are evolving.

Great dress! You definitely can’t figure that it’s from Zara. Although I’d like it if it were maybe a little shorter. Would work for a night out at a club as well.
    Following you now with bloglovin, please check out my blog if you wanna follow back!

xx
    Elena – blue velvet

Wow!! These pictures are stunning! This is such a beautiful green color in the dress! The scenery and location matches perfectly! I love flower patterns, most of the shirts and dresses that I buy during summer have floral. You should be my stylist :)
    Adri