StyleOnTheCouch Loves: Fleet Ilya

Fleet Ilya is my biggest obsession right now.  A label you might recognise from countless fashion editorials, Fleet Ilya turns heads.  Husband and wife, designer and creative partner Ilya Fleet and Resha Sharma are known for their amazing pieces made from smooth saddlery leather with brass or silver hardware.  Their designs for spring 2012 are beautifully crafted and perhaps represent the most wearable collection from the brand.  Bags, harnesses and belts in extraordinarily unique and aesthetically pleasing shapes are created using a palette of soft blue and beige, fiery red and basic black.

The body harnesses from Fleet Ilya are my favourites.  Both their thin hip harness and the red leather/PVC triangle harness (picture, top) are styles I am dying to wear over simple dresses and tees*.  The red version is quite special for a style such as this and I like that there are several adjustable straps, allowing you to fit it to your shape.  The simplicity of these two harness designs also make them very appealing to me.

Above, Fleet Ilya featured in (left to right) Vogue Spain, Harpers Bazaar HK and Numero.

Fleet Ilya’s signature is restraint wear, however the collection overall ranges from the demure to the bold, with pieces for everyone from those with an eye for well crafted leather designs to the fetish fashionista through to the highly adventurous.  Sharma, a Central Saint Martins Graphic Design graduate, has applied her knowledge of fashion and art direction to blur the line between leather bondage and fashion accessories.

Second image, Tiny Box Bag.  Image immediately below, Front Point Belt.  Above, Web Corset Harness.

In forthcoming posts I’ll show you how I’ve been styling my beige leather cuffs from Fleet Ilya.  Here is a sneak preview, worn with the London Skyline Tee from Emma Louise London:

I’m interested – would you wear, Blog Reader? Which styles appeal to you?

*Having said that, this I feel would have the most impact.

Fleet Ilya Images taken from Fashionising. My image, Lydia Hudgens.

Comments

1. eliseg25 says

I’m really not sure what to think of this as a fashion style. I don’t consider myself to be an old-fashioned fuddy-duddy, but these pieces just make me think naughty thoughts! Maybe that’s the point, although I could never see myself wearing one in public. Now in privacy with someone special…

I think for me, the appeal is that they can be worn two ways – public and ‘private’. I think they are very much statement pieces that add a really unique edge to a simple outfit. I wish they had a NYC boutique I could try pieces on in…

Thanks for stopping by @elise25!

Although I do love your leather cuff, I think that would be about as far as I would go with Fleet Ilya. I can appreciate the designs as artistic, but nothing resembling a harness has ever appealed to me on a fashion level, I have to admit :) But I suppose our differences really are what makes the world interesting, I know for sure that if I had a clothing line, I would never have dreamed up the things that Fleet Ilya creates!

I think that the comments above are probably a reaction to Fleet Ilya’s website – it definitely has sexual overtones and I think some people are afraid of that. I think that one of those harnesses would look edgy and awesome styled over a dress or tee. Can’t wait to see you style one!

4. everydayglamour says

Well, I can’t wait to see how you will style yours. I went over to the website and I saw a simple loop belt that I could see myself wearing. They are obviously great quality. I love the idea of the harness but I dunno–not an everyday look for me, lol.

5. dempeaux says

I really like that first peplum with the braces! The shape is lovely. It looks like it’s been broken off from a Victoria hoop skirt :)

6. Krista Peck says

I’m obsessed w/ harnesses, thanks to you ;) Great find. I see several pieces worth saving up for, including the cuffs. Gorgeous.

7. Nicole says

After reading this post and dreaming about those cuffs, I finally broke down and ordered them. They just arrived in the mail today and I am ecstatic! They are gorgeous and what great craftsmanship. Can’t wait to wear them. Thanks for your blog, I look forward to reading your posts each week.