“I Believe In Pink” ~ Audrey Hepburn

I blame you (and Audrey Hepburn) entirely for this post, Blog Reader.  Having read all your lovely comments on my black BCBG Max Azria Essential Knit Dress (thank you!) I couldn’t resist this pink, short-sleeved version in the BCBG sale, prior to all my travels this summer.  There are some lovely pieces in the sale – if you want to get in early on metallics for fall how about this sequined pleated skirt or if you, like me, have a few weddings to attend this summer, what about this teal evening gown?

I took the dress you see me wearing here to Austin, Texas last month and wore it for a weekend brunch in the city.  The legendary Driskill Hotel had a great cafe / bakery that is perfect for wiling away a few hours (if you visit, try the ATX City Burger) and a walk around 6th Street revealed some of the more gritty bars and clubs that Austin is also known for.

I’ve written about pink before – there is most certainly something about this colour that gets my back up which is likely its association with a fluffy kind of ‘with-bows-on’ femininity*.  Having said that I like pink with black, also pink with gold too – I’d be interested to hear how you play with pink, Blog Reader…

Another question I have today concerns these high-low styles I am seeing everywhere right now.  I’ll not lie, at first I hated how this looked. The style grew on me (it’s a nice twist for skirts and dresses in particular this year), although I only own two pieces…  Who else has a high-low style, skirt, top, dress, other?

I’m now off to get-my-margarita-on for a Cinco de Mayo party.  My friend Lani, queen of cocktails, has the perfect recipe for a St Germain margarita here on her blog.  Pass the tequila…!  See you on Monday, Blog Reader! xo

Wearing: BCBG Max Azria Donesa Essential Knit High Low Dress; Cuff from H&M; Glasses, GUESS; heels, Nine West.
*You know I rebel by putting harnesses on everything, Blog Reader.

Comments

For me pink used to be a color for little girls, women who were still stuck in childhood and Barbara Cartland. But the more I see it, the more I love it. Pink is the perfect color to highlight the tone of your skin and accessorized savvily, it brings a touch of cool to any look.
    Love the street art / window pictures!

Hahhaha I am loving the whole dipped hem/high-low style of clothing – it gives such a fantastic twist to something simple! I didn’t know your dress would have the dipped hem, it definitely looks sexy – plus when you walk you will look amazing ;) SUPERWOMAN CAPE!!

You know Peaches I hadn’t quite put my finger on it before but I think you’re on to something there with the flowing cape aspect of the design. This is me, trying to get my Wonder Woman on, AGAIN hah!

There really is something confounding about pink. I inevitably adore it whenever I see a blogger wearing it – and you do it beautifully in this post, especially with the gold cuff bracelet – but when it comes to wearing it myself, I feel uncomfortable and like thre is no way I could possibly be taken seriously. (This probably is partly to do with my child-like size, too.) As for the high-low style, I think it’s fun and I love the way it looks in photos – but I’ve only purchased only one piece, because I’ve found it isn’t particularly practical and I’ll be surprised if it lasts into next seaon :)

I love dresses like this that are so simple and easy, but look stunning on without adding a single thing. Especially in the summer when you don’t want to wear many accessories in the heat. This shade of pink is particularly lovely on your skintone! :)

I’m writing this with an eye on your profile picture above and I have been remembering the looks you have posted with pink. You’re my queen of pink inspiration – did you always like the colour or did it grow on you, like it did for me?

There is an Audrey Hepburn quote for many an occasion, and she always tends to make me feel better about myself! That’s why I love her so much (that and her style, of course!)

5. Lissy says

I love how you are embracing color but still in your own classic way. The dress really looks lovely on you and I like the high/low hemline. I haven’t found anything for myself with the high/low though for me I can picture a blouse with that hemline on me better than a skirt. I hope you are enjoying your cinco de mayo! XXOO LIssy

Hi Lissy – I have seen a few blouses around with similar hems, it really does seem to be the style of the moment but I can’t see it lasting…. Cinco de Mayo was fun although I was sad to miss the 5 Boroughs Bike Ride in NYC the next day, I completely forgot and I’d love to sign up for it. Hopefully next year. Did you enjoy the weekend?

I’m with some of the other commenters – I quite like how it looks on other wearers, but it’s not a look for me. You look great in it – and I think the simplicity is the way to go. I hope you had some great margaritas :)

I love pink together with almost every colour – yesterday i wore a red and pink shirt – normally these two colours are better apart, but in the summer everything is possible ;)
    I really love your dress – both the colour and the shorter front – beautiful ;)

I love the way the high/low styles work as well! I actually plan on checking out Mango this week for a high/low dress to wear to my brother’s graduation this weekend :)

With regards to pink – I wrote a post about it, too! I agree – I love being feminine, but you’ve gotta have an edge (especially if, like me, you were once “pinked out”). Here it is, in case you’re interested. xoxo

Oh my gosh you’ve just totally reminded me of that pink phase in school that many girls go through…. lol! Thanks for sending the link – you have some great suggestions for skirts in the feature Lindsay x

I LOVE pink with black! If I see that combination anywhere I have to have it :) I’m still undecided about these high/ low styles. I think on me they would look foolish!

Sarah I am all sent to pack up a dress and send it to Australia! Why foolish?? (There was one time I nearly tripped on the back fabric but still) I think you could work this like a dream.

• dempeaux says

Really?? :O That’s rather exciting! They only things I’ve bought recently are a pair of secondhand jeans for $8 (twitpic-ed them on my profile, as any purchase is a good purchase, right? ;) To me, this style of dress is a ‘younger’, more ‘on trend’ piece, and I don’t always get on with them (is it the specs? Too old?) but I SHOULD be more open-minded really. You look great in this dress!

Btw, I have another three months to go on the thesis now. Turns out my referencing needs a kick up the proverbial backside *sigh*

Hi Lisa – I looooove Austin. After NYC it has a special place in my heart, I love the pace, the bars, the space there. I would absolutely recommend it as a place to visit. x

10. eliseg25 says

I think wearing and being comfortable in pink depends on 2 things: finding a shade that looks good on your skin, and not being afraid of your femininity – because nothing says “girly” quite like pink.

I have a pale pink cashmere sweater that I wear with black or gray pinstriped pants for a soft yet sophisticated office look. I also have to admit that I have a pair of bubblegum pink pumps that I wear every once in a while with jeans when I’m in a fun and flirty mood.

I completely agree with you about finding a good match for your skin tone. Coral or beige pinks aren’t great for me (they wash my skin tone out) and very bright makes me look like some sort of cartoon character. I like the idea of bubblegum pink and grey/denim – nice tip for me there!

11. Nita says

I own this dress and get tons of compliments. I have worn mine with a blue jean jacket for a more casual look. I love the high-low style and this color is scrumptious.

12. Glam girl says

I love this dress! I am not sure if I should get an xxs or xs. I am a size 0. What size would you recommend? Thanks!!

Trackbacks