Fashion and Fringing.

During New York Fashion Week last September I was introduced to Morgan Carper and her collection of beautiful, classic looking yet unique designs.  I was drawn to several of her dresses and knew I would like to own one the moment I saw the presentation – it was just difficult deciding which to buy since a few pieces attracted me and for different reasons.  Last month I tried on some of my favourite styles including this Lily Casey dress with a deep plunge v neckline and soft pink fringed skirt.

I absolutely adore the dramatic neckline and bold style of this piece.  I’ve seen other fringed styles around recently; All Saints springs to mind as they usually have several but these are a little too Calamity Jane for me.  Gucci had some lovely 1920s inspired fringed dresses in their spring 2012 collection - in black with glistening metallics which resulted in a lot of shimmer along the catwalk.

Pictures (above and below), taken at the Morgan Carper spring summer 2012 presentation in September.

The fringing gives this piece wonderful movement (the one outfit post I wanted to do a video of me dancing walking in it rather than photos, in fact!)  There is some decent structure in the top half of this dress around the plunge neckline but it’s still a bold design – and one that just begs me to go do the Charleston.

So – do you ‘do the fringe’ Blog Reader? And just how low does your neckline go….?!

Wearing: Dress, Morgan Carper.  For stockists, click here.  Shoes, Dorothy Perkins.  Photos by Lydia Hudgens.

Comments

1. rosalovesdc says

Wow lady, it’s stunning on you! I honestly want to go and try the fringe and deep neckline soon.

Rosa Morgan has the fringed section as a skirt on it’s own, that’s another piece you might like to explore. Hope you’re having a lovely weekend – I really want to visit DC again soon…. I’ll keep you posted!

This is absolutely stunning on you – I love the movement of fringe when it’s done in a classy way such as this. And I think being smaller chested is definitely to my benefit when it comes to plunging necklines – because I can pull it off without looking overtly sexy! :)

3. dempeaux says

I don’t usually go for fringes but I love this! I adore the shape, and you look great in it!

4. CinZilicious says

wow, i love the fringe skirts! i gotta say, i haven’t seen this trend in Hong Kong yet, maybe i wasn’t attentive enough or we are just behind, lol…

But i gotta say, i love your Lily Casey dress. And the sequin top is sooo pretty! Great going out top=)

Cinz

Hi Z did you post the diy skirt yet? I just checked out your blog but couldn’t find it. Really liked the striped dress with peplum you designed just recently… thanks so much for stopping by!

No net yet. Wanted to take photo´s today, but the weather was terrible.. I will post the fringe skirt this week! Thnx for your compliments!
        Keep up the good work on your blog!
        x Z

I actually have a longstanding love affair with fringe. When I was about six, my great aunt brought back three fringed flapper dresses from a trip to California, in black, pink and cream. I was allowed to try one on and after that, I was immediately hooked. It’s hard to find a good fringe – it’s not a style everyone loves, obviously – but this design by Morgan Carper is probably the best I’ve ever seen. Not to mention that the plunging neckline looks somehow demure in spite of how revealing it is. I officially have a new tab open in my browser to search for my own version of this dress :)

6. Sneha says

You look amazing in the dress and I would absolutely love to own it. Any idea where I can get my hands on this (or something very close to this?)

Thanks.

7. eliseg25 says

I’m not so sure I like the look of these fringe pieces (although I love the daring neckline in the top dress). They kind of look like something to wear to a glamorous luau! Just not my style. But I do love, love, love those 2 cream tops in the 3rd picture. I could see them becoming staples in my summer wardrobe!

You look divine in this dress. Completely in love with the fringe skirt on it! Also, your hair is perfect as usual! Hahaha love it.

xx

This is stunning, I love the mix of fabrics.. top and bottom almost belong to their own ‘genre’ if you will and collide together beautifully. You look so graceful and elegant in this

x

Hi Rachel thanks for stopping by! I’m traveling right now and don’t have much chance to be online but I’ll be sure to check out your blog when I can. I hope you really are running for president?!

Not a fan of fringing but I do love the resurgence of the 20′s trend and if that fringing was shorter and layered I would snap it up as a cute little dress for doing the Charleston in… great thing about designs like that is you can actually trim the fringing down yourself if you are brave enough!

The style is unusual yet classic and classy . I absolutely love this look . the low neck line and the fringe the opposing colours , look stunning. The dresses look very flowly and wonderful for spring/summer. Great sense of style!