Easter weekend in Manhattan was a bright and sunny affair – we’re still edging into spring but the temperature on Sunday was quite glorious. I spent the afternoon in Central Park with a friend and I also caught up on the collections I’m dying to wear this summer. Petiole is one of these. I wrote about them back in January – timeless, wearable and romantic garments that make an easy transition from day into night. For spring 2012 the label have introduced a lovely colour palette of lavender, grass-green, mango and neutrals for their collection of dresses and skirts, shorts and rompers:
My favourite pieces from Petiole are undoubtedly the silk dresses. They have a wonderful feel on the skin and lovely movement – Petiole use crepe de chine and reverse charmeuse, the latter is often used for lingerie.
Romantic dresses such as these require romantic hair. I was lucky to work with hair stylist Ashley Maybruck for this shoot, who I met after seeing her styling within the September fashion week presentation for designer Morgan Carper. Along with styling my hair we talked about hair trends for summer 2012 and Ashley gave me her insider knowledge on curls. She also provided some tips and hints on how to recreate different looks – her thoughts are below….
Trend #1: Zooey Deschanel Early 60’s look: She is beyond popular right now with her hit TV show New Girl and with her quirky sense of humor and indie retro look this hair style is sure to be popular. I know several people who have gotten bangs because they wanted to achieve this.
How to achieve:
1) let your hair dry naturally and add just a few curls here and there to add texture. Take a 1″ curling iron (the barrel works best at this size) and curl pieces about 1/2 ” – 1″ thick.
Trend #2: Shoulder Length Beach Curls: Like Ashley Benson with her look at the 2012 People’s Choice Awards, this is also very easy to achieve and is my personal favorite look this season!
How to achieve:
1) To damp hair add a small amount of mousse such as Tresemme Mousse
2) Blow dry with a brush
3) Take a small section of hair and place the ends at the base of your large curling iron barrel and then wrap the hair up around the barrel until you reach your mid-lengths. Hold the hair for five to 10 seconds and then release the hair by unwinding the strands backwards
5) Sleek down with some shine spray like Redken Shine Spray or with a light hairspray
Trend #3: Long Hair with Romantic Curls: I truly think long hair is going to be the leader next to the Zooey Deschanel look.
How to achieve:
1) I find it best to let the hair dry naturally to get a slight bounce to the hair
2) With a 1″ curling iron barrel take 1/2″ – 1″ sections of hair and curl backwards (away from the face)
3) Again apply styling wax to the ends, spray down with Shine Spray and finish with a light hairspray.
Some of my other favorite products and tools to use to achieve these looks are:
If you would like to find out more about Ashley and her services, visit her website here. Will you be wearing curls this summer, Blog Reader?