Different Location, Different Rules?

Coming from England, where a winter wardrobe equals a summer wardrobe, and vice versa depending on the somewhat temperamental climate in the UK, I’ve always been pretty hopeless dressing for humidity.  I’m spending the week back in one of my favourite places in the US; Austin, Texas so this kind of dressing is something I need to get use to, fast.

At the weekend I spent the day at Barton Springs natural pool in the city, a gorgeous hideaway frequented by families, students and tourists alike.  A great place to soak up the atmosphere, do some sunbathing and go swimming (diving too if that takes your fancy!)  There is a lovely retro feel to the place…

Urban Outfitters is not a place I shop at often but when I have popped in I’ve found a few gems. This Silence & Noise High Waist Ponte Mini Skirt is currently on sale and is pretty cute for throwing on over a bathing suit for a day at the pool.  My tank tee here is from Zara - one of my current go-to labels for essential basics.

There are days when I think I am too old for a mini skirt, then there are days when I don’t care too much about that…  I’m on holiday folks – different rules, right??

Where do you go to stock up on basics?  Does your holiday wardrobe also equal different styles and rules (even those that are non-weather-dependent?)

Wearing: Tank tee from Zara; Wedges from ALDO (old season, my current favorites from the brand here and here); Ponte skirt from Silence & Noise at Urban Outfitters; Sunglasses, GUESS.

Comments

You looks fantastic!! When I lived in Japan I amassed an amazing summer wardrobe.Since I have lived in the UK I have not had a chance to wear anything (especially living in the north east). Sometimes I will dare and wear something simply because i leave my house, straight into the car to work and stay in doors all day. But its still a tragedy that I cant wear my fancy summer clothes no more. Enjoy the lovely weather!!

I had to invest in a few pieces for the summer humidity in NYC, and I think they will be consigned to the back of my wardrobe on return from the US for sure lol. Grr to English weather! xo

2. BB says

Love seeing Austin in your post. I am from Texas and Austin holds a special place in my heart. Also love your outfit!

You’re so pretty! I love this outfit, the soft colors are so feminine and look great with your skin. Your legs look 2 miles long!

You are never too old for a mini skirt! Love the colors on you! I tend to pack differently on vacation… either I bring too much, or when I try to cut back, I end up not bringing the things I really love. Too much pressure to look fabulous on vacation!

There is no such thing as too old for mini skirts – especially with legs like yours! You look absolutely fabulous, and definitely prepared for a day by the pool. I tend to go different places for different types of basics. I like BDG tees from Urban Outfitters, opaque tights from H&M, lace-trimmed tanks from Gap and skinny jeans from Mavi… the list goes on and one :)

6. rosalovesdc says

Never too old for mini skirts, specially in warmer weather. I kind of envy you right now lady. Winter is back in the East Coast. Enjoy your vacay.

Love the look! Especially the light gray and peach together. And a miniskirt suits you pretty damn fine at your age.
    I stock up on basics at Petit Bateau when I’m in France. I’ve grown addicted to their V-neck T-shirts.

This ensemble looks lovely on you and I have a soft spot for neutral shades and dusty pink! As for the basis, my places are Uniqlo, especially for jumpers and tees, and COS, where both design and quality are amazing.

The weather here at the moment is bizarre, it’s making it really difficult dressing for any occasion. It’s all seasons in one! Only England can have floods, torrential rain, and a draught at once eh?

I am loving the shoes here! For my basics I tend to go for Reiss, COS, Zara, and UNIQLO.

10. mpchouchou says

I was having the same inner debate the other day….amI too old for the mini? Sometimes I think yes (but perhaps because it is so gloomy here now?) but it didn’t stop me from picking up a cute embroidered number from Zara a few weeks ago, hah! I am loving these new sunglasses too! They compliment your face perfectly. And Guess? Never would have guessed. Hah!

I want to see that skirt on the blog asap. Can we be mini skirted together please? Hope the new house is going well MPChouChou, can’t wait to come visit, all the blog posts make it look like a very exciting project!