“The Body Never Lies” ~ Martha Graham.

Last year I attended a wonderful talk on women’s rights and women’s clothes at Fashion Institute of Technology in New York.  Although hard for me to imagine, the changes described in women’s dress since even the 1900s was quite startling.  I started to think about the evolution of lingerie too – women’s lingerie has evolved enormously since the 1920s when the introduction of elastic fabrics took the bra industry mainstream. Fast forward to the 1980s and my favourite clothing piece the bodysuit, no more an undergarment, was popularised by designers such as Donna Karen and immortalised by the likes of Madonna, Beyonce and Lady Gaga.

Images above from Elle.com / thisislandlife and Tush Magazine.

In another of my posts that combine fashion, lingerie and outerwear, I’m focusing on the one piece.  I think that a bodysuit is one of the most flexible and versatile pieces a woman can own; easily converting from day to night, from the casual to the dressy and elegant, from the basic to more risque.  Several versions of the one piece exist – teddies, rompers, bodysuits – each slightly different in style but all experiencing a major renaissance as a fashionable garment for women both as lingerie and as outerwear.

Here I’m wearing the black lace romper by Amber Sakai.  Amber has a number of sheer lace pieces in her spring collection and this one of my favourites.  Some of the other  one pieces I am coveting right now are:

Left to right, below: Bordelle Nouvelle Justine body; Dolce & Gabbana Peony- Print matte satin body available to buy here on Net-a-porter; Lascivious Midori bodysuit and The Lake and The Stars Monument stretch mesh body (click here to buy on Net-a-porter).

I’m also wearing my Aiko waistcoat by Lascivious (you really need to see the back of this piece, so I’ll do another post soon, I’ve been wearing it non-stop, Blog Reader) and the BCBG Max Azria Power Skirt bought during my trip to Montreal with the styling help of my friend Lani of Mon Petit Chou Chou.

Do you own a bodysuit, Blog Reader? Are you as much of a fan of them as me?

Comments

If my eyes deceive me, you are wearing a sheer lingerie top with nothing underneath! And you look amazing! That combo looks really stylish :D I’ve never owned a bodysuit but I might start owning one…I like how it keeps everything in place xx

Your eyes are correct! Although I think for wearing out a jacket would be required! The romper itself has a lovely lace and that is what I wanted to show… you really could style this piece several ways though – the bolder the better I think!

You’re right, this style would need some boldness! ….I’d probably need to grow my hair longer so I can do the whole ‘mermaid’ look (you know, the ones that have no bras on and use their hair instead to cover their modesty!) xx

Lol you made me laugh so much with this comment! Thanks for the compliment Sandy -as a psychologist I actually think you need to be a bit of a role model, and I hope that having an interest in fashion and a passion for style is at least a little bit inspiring. Nice to see you on here, will pop back to Ooh La Frou Frou again soon xo

2. mpchouchou says

You are OWNING this look lady. Seriously, fierce. I can’t wait to see the back view of this saucy number. I was just looking at photos from Montreal and thinking we need to plan a follow up trip!

3. dempeaux says

Wow, that body suit looks gorgeous! I do like body suits, but I can never figure out exactly how to wear them. I love that floral 50s looking example though.