The Psychology of Colour: Blue

When I was a teenager I asked my parents if I could paint my bedroom blue.  They complained it was too ‘cold’ a colour, but I think blue actually has quite a calming feel – good for a place you sleep in (I argued my point*).  Blue has a natural, restful feel (most of the earth’s surface is blue, the sky is blue…) and rather interestingly uniforms are often blue, so it’s also quite a reassuring colour.

There is another side to blue – we can get ‘the blues’ or feel sad and ‘blue’ and too much blue might be seem as uncaring, clinical and aloof.  Since I like my fashion with a side of contradictions, I’m going all out blue with this outfit.  And I can honestly say I love the outfit in this post.  I adore the combination of blue hues I’m wearing with a splash of tan and gold (the latter helped enormously by these amazing heels from Coye Nokes I don’t want to take off!)

Both my jeans and my shirt here are from Gap, who I often turn to for every day casuals.  Gap’s spring mood boards promised sunshine, warmth and easy breezy days, unexpected colour and clean, retro silhouettes and their new collection is just that.

Not wanting to be too casual, these Coye Nokes heels lend a little bit of glam to the look. Only just seen around my neck is my chunky gold necklace from Reiss and I’m carrying my perfect-for-spring scallop edge satchel from ASOS.

Calming, cooling and sedate; brilliant, electric and intuitive – how does blue make you feel and how do you wear it, Blog Reader?

Wearing: Heels from Coye Nokes; Satchel from ASOS; Oxford shirt and jean leggings from Gap. Belt from Dorothy Perkins; Necklace from Reiss.
Photos by the amazingly talented Lydia Hudgens.

*in-case you were wondering, my room was painted blue and my parents agreed with me (in the end) that it was a nice colour.

Comments

I went through a “red” phase in high school… and painted my room bordello red! They cautioned me at first but now they’ve left it and love it… the only spot of color in the house!

The shoes and the whole ensemble are gorgeous, the reflection on the psychology of color has me smitten!! So thrilled to have seen this in person too, so beautiful ;)

Love the colours….and the satchel is so pretty! Blue makes me feel more confident and reminds me of the sea…it is also one of the reasons why I like the crystal Blue Topaz. Interesting post as usual….its one of the reasons why your blog is amongst my favourite blogs list!
    May xx
    walkinginmay.blogspot.com
    @MissMayLoh

Blue & sea green are so pretty together – those shoes are fantastic & also love the ASOS satchel! I’m also a big fan of Gap for everyday basics – their jeans fit me better than any other brand. :)

A male perspective on Blue from the UK. You look great in your skinnys. I love wearing blue. Have lots of Gant 100% cotton shirts. And navy chino’s. But then I’m fair, blonde (well I was many moons ago). Great photography. Not sure those heels would suit me :)

hehe I had a blue room too… it was a pale blue with clouds then in high school I added the NYC skyline :) I love blue! Blue definitely doesn’t give me the blues… so I think it gets a bad rap with “winter blues.” Blues usually lift my spirits. Love this outfit – nice to see you in pants!

i like how you mixed the mint colors with all the blue hues. love the pants! i’ve been looking for the perfect pair of cobalt blue jeans, i’m gonna have to stop by the gap now!

It’s interesting that you mention the psychology of blue. I’ve never found it to be a cold colour – frankly, I would much rather be in a blue room than one that was painted yellow or red. Similarly, I think there are very few colours that can be worn head-to-toe, but you’ve certainly proven in this post that blue is among those few. Gap jeans really do fit you like a glove, and I cannot get over your stunning shoes! I hope they’ll be making appearances in many posts to come :)

I’ve never felt that blue was a ‘cold’ colour! Besides, you’re right – blue and green are calming colours (that’s why it’s used in hospitals!)! You look so relaxed in that hue, and I love the pop of green and gold in those heels and that satchel! The colours work well together because the hues of blue/green are so close to each other! I should definitely get myself one of those Gap jeans – it looks great!

xx

I have never seen anyone pull off sky and peacock blue! I like the combination and the contrast of the belt. I also like how you have matched the background wall colour and the grafitti on it to your outfit. Anf those shoes….I want them!!

So funny because that wall is right next to my flat, it was just the perfect place for a photoshoot. I was worried about “merging” in with the background but it worked quite well in the end. Thank you so much for taking time to comment x

thata girl, so glad that you convinced your parents! your blue-hued outfit is simply gorgeous, blue definitely suits you!! and i love the green and natural colors too – the graffiti in the back matches your bag and shoes!! ;) ;)
    xoxo, kristina

Blue is my favourite colour. I like a few shades, but whenever I’m asked about my favourite, I always think of blue. To me, it’s calm, deep and relaxing. I wouldn’t probably pain my house blue unless, of course, I moved somewhere hot or Hamptons :D (just think nautical and Ralph Lauren), but I adore wearing many shades of blue and they suit me well.
    This outfit is beautiful and the shoes add such a surprising element and energy to it.
    Hope you had a wonderful weekend!
    x

I did wonder a bit about blue and green together but in the end I think the hues worked together. I’m thinking of investing in some pale green / mint coloured denim for spring too. What do you think?

oh my goodness, the green and blue offer such a gorgeous fashion statement, and your legs are to die for! i’d love to hear more about your fitness life, activities and associated fashion, of course.

Hey Nicole – for activity I really love Pilates have you tried it? I’ve used machines for Pilates before, “Reformers” they are just an amazing all round work out. A lot of ballerinas train in this technique too – I’m trying to find a place in NYC I can visit but sadly everything is super expensive. I’ll keep you posted!

I love blue. In art, blue is a very important color (Picasso’s “période bleue”, Marc Chagall’s paintings, and more the IKB ‘international klein blue’ created by Yves Klein), so deep and sensitive… I love to wear blue. It makes me feel very fine.

Amitiés,
    Barbara

Hello and thanks for the comment! I’m so pleased you agree with the calm and serene effect of blue. Seems like we were on the same wavelength with our bedrooms then! Hope you stop by again!

Haha really?! Since you are a Libra, Nicolas, and your star sign is the scales, I imagine your room to be painted one half blue and one half another colour, since you tend to feel ambivalent about things and find it difficult to make up your mind…. :-)

For your new flat – I will wait and see what colour you choose! xo

This is such a great outfit and I just love seeing you in color. You have a knack for wearing it, so I fully expect to see much more of it this Spring (don’t you just love all the bright shades they are already stocking?!). Let’s discuss those shoes a bit more too. They are perfection and so different. I adore!!

I know someone who had some amazing shoes at London Fashion Weekend Eva. Oh wait, was that you?! So sorry we didn’t get to say hi but I recall your outfit vividly. Next time I hope we can catch up x