Stuck In The Midi With You

Midi length skirts and dresses were all over the catwalks at the end of 2011 and I’m not giving them up for 2012.  Length wise “midi” seems to cover anything from just below the knee to mid calf, like this gorgeous silk tank dress by Petiole, a new label obsession of mine.  There is something very polished about the midi dress and I love the versatility it allows should you choose to wear it with either boots, heels or flats – all equally chic looks.

I understand that the midi length was first embraced in the 1940s, an era synonymous with much grace, elegance and understatement.  Looking back to the 1970s, this was another time during which the midi (briefly) resurfaced. Apart from that and well, school-skirt-lengths (at least in sleepy Lincolnshire, UK, when skirts were visually measured by teachers for ‘appropriate’ midi length and woe betide you if your skirt came a millimetre above the knee -yes, we all remember your skirt-related-wrath Ms Hopkinson…) I feel it’s only recently that these styles are back in the limelight. Mad about the midi like me?  Read this article on the history of the length here.  Refinery 29 also ran a great feature on how to wear midi skirts like a pro – you can read this here.

Photography: Lydia Hudgens.  Hair styling by Ashley Maybruck - you will read about this lovely lady on my blog next week as she has given me some amazing tips on hair trends for this year.

Back to my outfit – I wrote a feature on the lovely ladies behind Petiole for my weekly Lookbooks column and my love for their designs is growing.  Their clothing makes an easy transition from day to night and can be dressed up or dressed down.  Petiole’s fall 2011 collection is a mix of deceptively minimal designs: silk dresses, shorts and tees and even a very chic onesie.

I’m mixing Petiole’s army green silk tank dress with some gold colours here – cinching in the waist with my ASOS belt and wearing a necklace from one of my favourite New York jewellery designers Jewel Lee. I met Jewel at last year’s Capsule show, a brilliant showcase for new and emerging design talent.  Jewel creates hand made pieces for her label Jubilee Riot that are architecturally themed and modern space-age in look.  I’ll be doing a full blog post on Jewel’s designs over the coming weeks so watch this space.

Wearing: dress by Petiole New York; belt by ASOS; heels by Sigerson Morrison; Sirus B necklace by Jubilee Riot.

Now give it up, Blog Reader.  Where’s your skirt length at??*

*Boys, please do participate, it’s Burn’s Night next week so if you have a kilt jump right on in.  That means you, my male fashion correspondent Callum.

Comments

The midi quickly became one of my favourite trends of the season last year… I’m really not sure how I lived without it before, and I have no intention of giving it up now. I must say, though, that I’ve rarely seen a midi look as modern as this one, and it’s very refreshing to see a longer (but not maxi) skirt look so easy breezy. Just beautiful.

looks amazing, again love the color choices you always make .. so lovely and unique.. I adore and find it very inspiring! x

hope you had a wonderful weekend so far and me getting back in touch socially!

looking forward to chatting some more again, soon. xoxo

I have always been a fan of mini-skirts (where do they appear on the ‘what’s in’ meter?) but do like midi length as well and have a few favorites that I will never tire of. Though I do find this length looks better on us tall gals ;)

Loving that dress on you! Personally in response to your tweet “How long do wear your skirts?” – I don’t! Ha. I like the midi dress on women, it is almost seductive in a way that is it teasing? Showing just a spot of leg can be more attractive than flashing the whole thigh in a mini skirt. It is more sensual, and subtle. The colour is beautiful too. x

this is such a pretty dress on you. and i love the color w. the belt. because i’m not that tall of a person, i don’t feel that i can pull off the look of a midi skirt quite as well as you can! but i do still try because i like to show off my shoes!! ;) ;) beautiful photos as always ;) ;)
    xoxo, kristina

You look so beautiful! The color suits you perfectly. I love how elegant midi length skirts are, although they don’t quite go with someone of my height – just before the knee is more flattering. :)

I did have some concerns about what to wear with it. I’m never adverse to wearing lingerie that can be seen – for this I think you could wear a racer back body just fine. It’s meant to be quite a slouchy dress I think, but you can dress it up or down. Did you have any thoughts lingerie wise you could share?

I love the playful hemline and the colour. Very sophisticated. I used to like wearing skirts that were short/ended above the knee, but post-pregnancy, I have switched to stuff that skims the knee or falls just below it. It just happened. And thanks so much for sharing the R29 link- I’ve wanted to wear midis for a while but was wary because I’m short!

Jess do not ever stop being a mini girl. If you do I will have to find someone else to inspired me to wear knee socks and those great Frye boots. No changing to midi for you young lady! xo

You are a downright STUNNER in this dress…love that soft olive green color on your skintone…just beautiful.
    Love the midi and agree there is a ladylike vibe to it for sure.
    C