Give Me Patience (Alice Yim New York)

Alice Yim is one of my favourite New York designers and when I received an invite to her ‘Friends and Family Sale’ last month I jumped at the chance to go. I’d had my eye on the Patience dress from her Autumn/Winter 11 collection for ages, feeling that it was a great style for me.  The metallic grey and charcoal colours, the perfect floor length, the slightly dropped waist, the geometric detail on the waistband that nips your waist in… finally at the sale the dress was mine…

It is interesting how I’m developing such a crush on all things in floor length or “maxi” right now.  It feels like I’m yearning for a certain grace in my clothing ever since New York Fashion Week in September, where there were certainly a lot of longer lengths around.  There is an elegance to longer lengths and I think there is something about the way you hold yourself in floor length pieces too, that makes these styles appealing and enjoyable to wear.  I’m calling this my ‘Cinderella Complex’*

A recap, then, on some of my favourite longer dresses from the Spring Summer 2012 collections at New York Fashion Week, below.

All images from Elle.

Tibi - I love everything about this dress… in fact I need to start saving for this dress now…

DKNY – I’m a big fan of the shape of this dress, and the contrasting fabrics

Finally, a gorgeous lace and sheer gown by Tadashi Shoji.   Lani of Mon Petit Chou Chou and I saw this show a few months back and were captivated by the dresses in particular.  The spring  2012 collection pays homage to the tulip:

“Rich in its colour yet delicate in its form, this admired bloom is full of life, incessantly evolving and changing in shape. A vibrant palette of flora in shades of fern, magnolia, rosebud, and willow are infused in the exquisite fabrics of silk linen, embroidered lace, and draped tulle.” ~ from the Tadashi Shoji blog

I would love to hear your thoughts on how you feel wearing longer lengths, Blog Reader, and also if you’ve spotted any floor sweeping gowns that you can’t get out of your mind….

Images top, I’m wearing: Patience dress by Alice Yim New York. Alice’s SS12 collection is also on her website for viewing.  I’ll post about these styles at a later date, as I’m super excited about the fresh colours and mix of fabrics.  She has one gorgeous black dress with side slits in particular I have my eye on from the new line…

*to be distinguished from the psychological syndrome named by Colette Dowling, since I don’t have an unconscious desire to be taken care of by others, in case you were wondering.

Comments

The Patience dress look gorgeous on you. After seeing some dreadful “up skirt” TV bloopers, I’ve decided to stay away from short skirts unless I’m wearing leggings.

Jess I had my eye on it for a while. I love the waist – there is button detailing just at the side of the waist band, I’m not sure the photo shows it that well, but it’s the little things that I like with such a simple and chic dress xo

I have mixed feelings about maxis. I want to love them- they’re so comfortable, after all, and they can look so beautiful, like your divine Alice Yim creation- but I’m so short that I often find that I look dowdy in them. Still, I must admit that I recently came upon a rust-coloured Marc by Marc Jacobs maxi skirt that has me swooning!

There isn’t much from Marc Jacobs that doesn’t have me swooning :-) Might I see this skirt in an outfit post soon? I feel sad that “shorter” ladies feel they can’t wear maxis, but I do also know that dressing for your shape and size is key. I feel like setting myself a styling challenge for you, Cee!

Oh there you go tempting me with the Tibi number. Isn’t it gorgeous though – I was having a little dream the other day Lissy, me on a boat, in Ibiza (heck, anywhere in the Med) with this little number. I have a money saving tin now with “Tibi” written on it!

Yay for sales! I’m turning into a cheapo who refuses to pay retail prices lol.

That is a lovely dress! I like long/maxi dresses as they really elongate you so you look taller and leaner ;)

i am SO glad you bought this dress. It was simply made for you. I was at a show last night and missing you- they just aren’t the same without you (or Lincoln Center;). Glad we have our next visit on the books.

5. CinZilicious says

WOW WOW WOW! You look fabulous in that Patience dress=D You suit maxi and floor length dresses, if you ask me=D But isn’t it hard to walk in them in New York? just wondering=)

I love that lace gown by Tadashi Shoji. It oozes the elegance and style factor all the way!!!! Love it! As for me, i’m quite petite so i stay away from anything too long or drown my body frame down, if that makes sense, lol

Cinz

Oh, I love the first by Tibi, very essential and elegant ( I have also a thing for white dresses in summer). Yours is really stunning too!

Ciao, from Italy!:)
    DSV

You lucky duck…that is was still available come sale!!! it is beautiful and looks like it was made FOR YOU!!! Gorgeous lady.
    Hope you have a great weekend.
    C

Trackbacks

1. [...] Give Me Patience (Alice Yim New York) | StyleOnTheCouch I'd had my eye on the Patience dress from her Autumn/Winter 11 collection for ages, feeling that it was a great style for me. The metallic grey and charcoal colours, the perfect floor length, the slightly dropped waist, the . [...]