Luscious Lace

“I consider lace to be one of the prettiest imitations ever made of the fantasy of nature; lace always evokes for me those incomparable designs which the branches and leaves of trees embroider across the sky, and I do not think that any invention of the human spirit could have a more graceful or precise origin.” ~ Coco Chanel, April 29, 1939

Every once in a while I find a collection or aspects of a collection that stick in my mind.  Not only that, but these threads of memory appear to follow me around – I see an image here, an image there, everything working together like some kind of path leading me in the direction of a fabulous purchase…

This black lace dress is one such item.  I love Stella McCartney‘s way with lace, and for me this is reminiscent of her scalloped lace dress from 2010.  I found it at a bargain price in one of my local East Village boutiques, having had it in my mind for a long while now that this style might suit me.

Here is the older Stella version:

Image above from Yulya’s X Fashion World.

And below, the ink heavy cotton lace Mya dress currently reduced from £1,090 to half price on her website:

My favourite artist Corinne Bailey Rae also wears a lace jumpsuit by Stella McCartney on the cover one of her “The Love” EP, music I have shared only with significant people in my life:

I’ve played this again and again over the last couple of years.

Some things just work out perfectly, don’t they?!

(For a mini review of the lace worn by attendees at recent Haute Couture shows – cast your eye over this blog post by my friend Christine of ‘Fash n Chips‘ who included photos of Christine Centenera and Anja Rubik looking oh-so-chic in Paris…)

Comments

I’ve just bought a pair of black lace shorts myself! (I also have a black lace tank top that I haven’t even worn yet).

There’s just something about black lace that will make any woman ooze sensuality, no?

PS: The one on Corinne’s EP cover is stunning!

Lace is by far my favourite fabric- it’s simple and delicate, but still makes a powerful statement. And best of all, it’s almost always a neutral shade, but at the same time, it’s never dull! You look absolutely gorgeous in this dress. It really does suit you beautifully :) Somethings really are meant to be.

Loooove lace too. Hopping over from Noelani’s blog and just discovering yours. You have a lovely sense of style. I read on another blog that lace translated in Italian means “stitch in air” and I think it’s such an apt phrase for the material. Airy, but sexy, and lace can also be sweet and innocent and chic. Great highlight on a gorgeous fabric.

Love the dress! It’s so wonderful when a dress you’ve been lusting after finally becomes yours – such triumph! Suits you really well too.

I love lace, there is something delicate, and sensual about it yet with such a sexy edge. Great for layering too. You look incredible as always, and I adore this dress on you! x

Agree with all the things you have said about lace. Done well, that it – some lace can look so cheap which is such a shame for a fabulous fabric. If I had all the money in the world I would invest in fabulous lace. In the meantime I will of course settle for this cute dress!

Quite right! I was listening to a radio show about Kate Middleton’s dress, and the Royal College of Needlework working on the lace for it, and how it’s all hand made, and I forget all the terminology – but it was fascinating. Good lace isn’t dead!